You may be brushing and flossing just as you should, but what about your children? Remember that the dental habits they are forming now will affect their smiles for the rest of their lives. Our dentists, Dr. Jeffrey Chung and associates, will be happy to talk with you and your children about proper dental hygiene for kids in Magnolia, Texas. Call Serenity Dental today at 832-521-8448 for appointments for yourself and your family.
Healthy teeth are important to your child’s overall health and development. Your child’s teeth help them eat and digest food, speak properly, and help their permanent teeth come in correctly. Here are a few tips on how to care for your child’s teeth:
- Have your child brush at least twice each day. Until your child is about 7, you will need to brush for them. Make sure to use a toothbrush with a small head and soft bristles.
- Help your child floss daily. Flossing removes plaque and debris between the teeth and below the gum lines to keep your child’s teeth and gums healthy.
- Bring your child to visit the dentist regularly. Children should visit the dentist for the first time within six months of their first tooth erupting and should continue to visit the dentist every six months following that initial visit.
- Ask the dentist about preventive care, such as fluoride and dental sealants.
- Help your child maintain a nutritious, balanced diet. Avoid constant snacking, and help them avoid eating sugary and acidic foods that could damage their teeth.
- Have your child wear a mouth guard if they play sports. This oral appliance helps prevent your child’s teeth, gums and oral structures from being damaged.
Remember that it is normal for babies and small children to suck their thumbs, fingers or a pacifier. Most children will break this habit on their own by about age 4. If thumb or finger sucking continues, please speak with our dentists so that we can monitor the habit and provide assistance in breaking it if needed.
If you have any questions about caring for your child’s teeth or to schedule an appointment with our dentists, contact our office today.